Allis Chalmers history can be traced back to 1847, but the company proper was formed in 1912 and based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It's first tractor was built in 1914, being a tricycle 10-12 model, that is, 10hp at the draw-bar and 12hp at the flywheel. This model continued in production until 1921, selling approximately 2700 units through mail-order as the company had no established dealer network. The range developed into the more powerful 10-18, some of which were exported to France and sold under the Globe brand, and later the 18-30.
In the 1920s many mergers and acquisitions took place and both Monarch and Advance-Rumely became part of Allis-Chalmers. In 1929, as many as 32 different companies formed the United Tractor & Equipment conglomerate, including Allis Chalmers, but this soon collapsed and Allis-Chalmers managed to survive. The United Model U and E became the basis of the Allis Chalmers range, the former running until 1953, and it was at this stage the Persian Orange colour scheme was introduced to differentiate its products from competitors offerings.
In the late 1930s, Allis Chalmers introduced its Model A & B tractors. The former replaced the model E in 1936 and ran until 1942, and the B, possibly the best known in the range, ran for 20 years between 1937-57. This initially had a bow-shaped front axle, but when the tractor was supplied to Britain during W.W.II under the Lend-Lease scheme, a straight front axle was introduced to save costs. After the war, The Model B was manufactured in Southampton and later production was moved to Essendine in Lincolnshire. Also at about this time, pneumatic tyres were introduced as an option on most models.
In the immediate post-war years, the Model G and WD were introduced, and in 1955 they launched their first diesel wheeled tractor, all other previous being either petrol or petrol/paraffin types, although diesel-engined Monarch crawlers had been made since the late 1920s. In Britain, the D270 went into production at Essendine, to be replaced by the D272 in 1959, plus the ED40 in 1960. From 1955 onwards, there was a comprehensive range of D-range models manufactured in the States with up to 50 different variations.
In 1960, the company changed the colour of its tractors to Persian Orange No.2 which was contrasted with cream wheel & radiator grill. Production carried on until the mid-1980s when the German Deutz company took over, renaming the tractor division Deutz-Allis. However, this was short-lived, as in 1990 the company was acquired by an American holding company, with production of tractors in Wisconsin having ceased in December 1985.
|< < < Back to Tractors Index|