The Oliver Chilled Plow Company had originally been founded in 1855 by a Scottish immigrant James Oliver who had patented a plough which gave long-life and toughness. Oliver Farm Equipment Sales Company was formed in 1929 from the merger of five different companies, including Hart-Parr, who already produced tractors. Soon after the merger, work began on developing a range of tractors which were based on Oliver's own designs, Type A & B row-crop prototypes.
Oliver pioneered the use of laterally-adjustable rear wheel track to suit different crop spacing but other manufacturers were quick to latch on to this development and soon followed suit. Tractors were available in Standard, Western, Ricefield and Orchard versions and made until 1937. These models migrated into the Oliver Hart-Parr Models 70 & 90 in the late 1930s, and carried a pale-green livery with yellow trim & red wheels.
The Hart-Parr suffix was dropped in 1937 and the Model 80 was introduced in 1940, but this carried the older Hart-Parr influenced dark-green livery, and was indeed an old-fashioned tractor compared to the 90. A smaller model, the 60, was also introduced in 1940, and in 1944, Oliver acquired Cletrac, which itself had taken over Avery previously. One particular model in the Oliver range, the 90 with its modern streamlined looks and powerful smooth engine, sold well in excess of expectations and continued until 1952, when it became the 99.
In 1948, to celebrate 100 years of trading under the Oliver name, the company introduced the Fleetline range of 66, 77 & 88 models, which featured new grilles and tinwork. With a range of diesel, petrol & petrol/paraffin engines, plus PTO as standard, but alas no hydraulics, there was a solution for most applications within the range. The Super series of 44, 55, 66, 77, 88 & 99 followed during the 1950s, and carried a lighter green & white livery.
In 1960, Oliver was acquired by White Motor Corporation which also bought Cockshutt & Minneapolis-Moline soon after, and eventually merged to form White Farm Equipment. The Oliver Super range introduced in 1955 carried on into the early 1970s, eventually being fitted with angular-shaped cabs, more than a decade after White took over. Both companies were ultimately absorbed into AGCO.